Do you know we lose 18.7 million acres of forests per minute? That is equivalent to 27 soccer fields per minute! The Amazon is an amazing example of a tropical rainforest. In fact, 17% of the forest has been lost in the last 50 years, mostly due to deforestation for cattle ranching. More than half of the world’s rainforests are cut down due to humans. Rainforests once covered 14% of land on Earth and now only 6%.
Here are threats to rainforests:
- People are cutting down trees for timber, furniture and other items.
- Power plants burn trees to generate electricity.
- The paper industry turns trees into paper.
- The cattle industry cuts down areas to clear ranch land.
- Agricultural industries cut down trees for crop land.
- Mining operations clear forests to create roads and dig mines.
- Hydroelectric projects flood acres of the rain forest.